We don’t need it!
…is highly energy intensive and expensive,
…and will hinder other water supply options that are less costly and better for the environment, such as water conservation, wastewater recycling, and storm water harvesting.
The Poseidon proposal has not even gotten approval from local and regional water agencies. None have committed to purchasing Poseidon’s water.
We don’t want it!
The Poseidon project uses outdated and environmentally harmful technology that:
…unnecessarily kills marine life through its open intake system,
…degrades water quality from the brine discharge,
…uses more energy than any other water supply option.
Desal plants can be designed to minimize marine life mortality, water quality degradation, and coastal habitat degradation. The State Water Resource Control Agency is currently gathering information from scientific experts on proper site, design and technology for ocean desalination proposals. But Poseidon’s project does not meet any of these recommendations.
Tell the Coastal Commission:
* To deny the Poseidon permits.
* Poseidon’s proposal does not meet the recommendations of the science community.
* The project would threaten marine life, degrade water quality, and increase greenhouse gas emissions.
* There is no demonstrated need for desalinated water in Huntington Beach.
* Ocean desalination should be an option of last resort. Better water supply options that protect our coast and ocean should be fully implemented before approving ocean desalination facilities. Orange County hasn’t done that yet.
The Coastal Commission has a duty to uphold the state Coastal Act by:
* Restoring and protecting marine life;
* Restoring and protecting ocean water quality and habitat value;
* Restoring and protecting coastal wetlands, sensitive coastal habitat, and wildlife.
The Poseidon proposal violates all of these Coastal Act policies.
Take Action: Show Up, Stand Up and Speak Up!
Poseidon will appear before the Coastal Commission on November 13 or 14 (exact date and time pending). Sign the list to be notified when the date and time is confirmed, and plan to attend.
Newport Beach City Hall
100 Civic Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
There are several ways you can participate in the Coastal Commission’s decision to ensure the Poseidon Ocean Desalination proposal is denied until they comply with the Coastal Act.
Attend the Coastal Commission hearing in November. Your attendance alone sends a strong message to the Coastal Commissioners that we oppose the project until it is critically needed and designed to comply with the Coastal Act policies. Even if you’re not fond of public speaking, show up anyway! We will provide you with signs and other ways to demonstrate your opposition to this project and your support for better alternatives.
Get informed and tell the Coastal Commission why you’re opposed to this project. We can provide you with talking points.
Even if you can’t attend the Coastal Commission hearing, you can still voice your opinion by sending a message to the commissioners using the following links:
* Surfrider Foundation: http://action.surfrider.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=8644
* Residents for Responsible Desalination: http://www.nowaterdeal.com/